Johann Romano, August Schwendenwein
On the site of the ‘Admonter Hof’, a medieval building that had had several owners over the years, Maximilian Hardegg commissioned Johann Romano and August Schwendenwein, the Ringstrasse era’s most successful residential architects, to design him an early historicist palace replete with Orientalized décor. The evolving role of the aristocracy is evident in the building’s arrangement: the owner and his family lived on the piano nobile; the other floors were leased – e.g., to the delegation of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin-Strelitz.
In 1897 the palace was acquired by the ‘Österreichisch-ungarische Bank’, located next door in Palais Ferstel: the bank had attempted to purchase Palais Hardegg back in 1955 in order to demolish it and have more room for Palais Ferstel. A design by Adolf Loos dating to 1919 proposes a high-rise bank building in place of Palais Hardegg.
Just a few years later, following the relocation of the ‘Nationalbank’ to Otto-Wagner-Platz, the palace was sold to the Anglobank. Palais Hardegg survived a number of other attempts to demolish it. More recently, ÖRAG, a real estate company, acquired the palace, restored it and leased it to different tenants, including the Ministry of Education.