Like many other buildings on Herrengasse, Palais Trauttmansdorff has medieval components. The palace changed hands a number of times: in the early 17th century Helmhard Jörger von Tollet – who for a time also owned the adjacent structures known today as Palais Batthyány and Palais Porcia – acquired it. However, because he was a Protestant, he was forced to leave Austria in 1620. Kremsmünster Abbey took possession of the palace; in 1639, it became part of the ‘Trauttmansdorff’sches Fideikommiss’ (entailed real estate).
The palace’s early baroque core dates to this period; the early-classicist facade is the result of a renovation Andreas Zach carried out for Ferdinand von Trauttmansdorff. In 1798, Franz Wipplinger added two stories to the palace. In 1966, it was sold to the ‘Niederösterreichische Brandschadenversicherung’ insurance company; six years later Anton Potyka’s design for a rear addition was realized.
In 1974, the renovation of the palace’s ceremonial rooms facing Herrengasse – equipped with rococo stoves, stucco ceiling decoration, wood-inlay parquet floors and a late-classicist ‘Goldkabinett’ – was completed. The ‘Green Salon’ holds Johann Matthias Ranftl’s sopraporta paintings of the allegories of the arts.